Select Page

Tenant Alterations

Who can make alterations to their home

If you are a secure tenant, you have the right to make alterations to your home and garden, however, it is a condition of your Tenancy Agreement that you must seek written permission from Colchester Borough Homes, as your landlord. Leaseholders may also need written permission for some home improvements. Introductory tenants can decorate their homes, but do not have the right to alter their home in any other way.

What is an alteration?

Any changes, other than decorating your home are classed as an alteration. You must not alter your home or fix anything to it without first getting our written permission.

There are some alterations that are not permitted, these are: 

  • Conservatories                  
  • Car ports
  • Loft conversions                
  • Decking
  • Extensions                           
  • Log burners
  • Laminate flooring if you live in a 1st or 2nd floor flat

Examples of alterations that you need permission for are: 

  • Installing your own bathroom or kitchen
  • Changing any electrical fitting
  • Changing the layout of your home, e.g. knocking down walls
  • Taking doors off
  • Fitting gas appliances
  • Fitting satellite and phone dishes
  • Fitting laminate flooring
  • Altering or erecting fencing or brick walling

Laminate Flooring

We will give permission to lay laminate flooring if you live in a house, bungalow or ground floor flat. Please be aware that you will be responsible for lifting and relaying the laminate flooring to enable work to be carried out in your home (such as a rewire). If you do not do this, Colchester Borough Homes will instruct a contractor to do this and you will be recharged for this. Colchester Borough Homes will not take responsibility for any damage to your flooring caused by this.

Repairs and leaving your home

You will be responsible for maintaining any alterations and any associated repairs. Please also be aware that you may be asked to remove the alteration and return the property to its’ original condition when you leave your home.

Building Control and Planning Permission

As well as applying for permission from Colchester Borough Homes, depending on the type of work you plan to carry out, you may also need to permission from other Council Services etc, Planning Services and/or Building Control.

Unauthorised Alterations

If you carry out an alteration without permission, Colchester Borough Homes will need to carry out an inspection to grant retrospective permission. You will be charged for this inspection. In the event that retrospective permission is not granted you will be asked to remove the alteration at your cost.

Health and Safety

We closely monitor alterations in our properties, your homes, to ensure that you are safe.

If alterations do not meet the required standard they can be hazardous and jeopardise your safety.

If in doubt, please ask.

For more details on obtaining permission to alter your property visit Alteration Permission