Search site

Help with your rent

Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit to help with your rent.  You can apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support online here. For information on other benefits see our benefits page.

If you are getting Housing Benefit and your circumstances change it is important that you report the changes immediately here.

In 2013 the Government changed how much Housing Benefit can be paid if you have more bedrooms than you need. This is sometimes referred to as the "bedroom tax". For more information on how this can affect your benefits please see our Housing Benefit and underoccupation page.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit and are having difficulty in paying your rent you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment. This is a temporary payment to help cover your rent, for example while you are looking to move to a more affordable home. To find out more and apply online.

Paying your rent

If your full rent is not covered by benefits, you will need to make arrangements to pay the difference. Visit our how to pay page to find out more.