Search site


What is an adaptation?

We aim to assist residents with disabilities to continue to live independently in their own homes by means of adaptations. An adaptation is something that would improve safe and independent living for individuals and their families. We can provide small items such as grab rails and lever taps and much larger items including stair lifts and level access showers.

How long will it take?

It will depend on the type of adaptation that best suits your needs. The Occupational Therapist will process all requests within 3 working days. We aim to complete minor adaptations within 28 days. Major adaptations will depend on the individual needs and timescales will be discussed with the tenant.

What types of adaptations can be funded?

Minor adaptations

  • Grab Rails
  • Lever taps
  • Electrical sockets
  • Door entry systems
  • Toilet surrounds
  • Half steps

Planned works

Planned works include:

  • Stair lifts
  • Ramps
  • Adapted kitchens
  • Over bath shower
  • Level Access shower
  • Dropped kerbs (for full-time wheelchair users only)
  • Some provision for scooters (where the scooter is the only means of transport) - please see policy for full details.

All planned works must be supported by an Occupational Therapist's assessment and will be subject to a home visit by the Adaptations Officer for suitability.

What types of adaptations are not covered?

  • Adapted kitchen where the member of the household with the disability is not the tenant or partner or adult dependent of the tenant or partner
  • Level access shower in a first or second floor flat, or under occupied three or four bedroomed property
  • Stairlifts for communal stairs (where stairs access two or more homes) 

Recommendations for stairlifts in underoccupied properties will be looked at on an individual basis and our decision will be based upon the circumstances of the tenant.

Further information about adaptations to council properties can be found in our pdf icon Housing Adaptation Policy. [226kb]

How do I apply?

This service is for Council tenants only. To apply on line you can fill in the form on this page, email or contact us on 01206 282971 (textphone users dial 18001 first). 

If you are suitable for an adaptation we will arrange for an Occupational Therapist to contact you.